This fort is situated in the lovely village of Porto Moniz, in the northern coast of Madeira Island.
This current fort is a replic of a former Fort, which dates back to 1730.
Regarding the original fort, it dates back to the XVIII century, by the time when Porto Moniz municipality was the most important disembarkation port in the northern coast of Madeira Island. Besides, is was also the biggest attact and robbery target for pirates.
In the XIX century this fort was abandoned.
In the end of the XX century, the Fort ruins are bought and the space get's renewed, hosting the Madeira Aquarium.
Nowadays, in this beautiful building is situated the well-known Madeira Aquarium.